Canopy styling
The material was difficult to source at first because I was initially searching for gazebo or awning fabric. Big no no. Way too expensive. I spent many hours doing market research, and came up with the following list to look into.
I have decided against posting the numerous pages of barely legible (and incredibly repetitive) workings out for this canopy. I have poor maths skills. However in summary, I had two plans; one for a 'Single Canopy' and the other for a 'Canopy with extender'. The idea for the former is show in the photo below, while the latter would include an extension of the material at the front to provide me with a shelter.
Luckily I am quite small. So I can walk the cart along with my head under this shelter in a light shower, for example.
To finish the day's work in a messy fashion, I pegged in the corners of the canopy to shape it, and stuck it all together using a glue gun before crawling away to collapse on the sofa.
Potential materials
- Waterproof nylon - too thin
- Polyester gazebo fabric - too thick and pricey
- PVC coated polyester fabric - just right
Number 3 was indeed the material for a table cover. And it was perfect. Finally coming to this conclusion after a rather long winded process of elimination, I'd had enough of endlessly staring at a screen. In the end, I gathered 260 x 80 cm of black/white checkered fabric, for a great price, just round the corner, in Dunelm. Thank god for Dunelm.
| Trying to cut material to size on the windy street |
I have decided against posting the numerous pages of barely legible (and incredibly repetitive) workings out for this canopy. I have poor maths skills. However in summary, I had two plans; one for a 'Single Canopy' and the other for a 'Canopy with extender'. The idea for the former is show in the photo below, while the latter would include an extension of the material at the front to provide me with a shelter.
My uncle used the remains of the project wood to form this makeshift extender.
| Lazy mock up w/ rough extender idea |
| Canopy extender base |
Luckily I am quite small. So I can walk the cart along with my head under this shelter in a light shower, for example.
To finish the day's work in a messy fashion, I pegged in the corners of the canopy to shape it, and stuck it all together using a glue gun before crawling away to collapse on the sofa.

Comments
Post a Comment