Reading - Wonder, R.J Palacio
I
thought that this was a good book. It follows a boy named August (or
Auggie) with a facial deformity, through his experiences at school
and home life. I would definitely say it is for a younger audience
than myself, suiting someone still in school as they would be able to
directly relate to the content through their current experiences. The
lack of complex language and syntax, and choice of intertexual
references (such as Star Wars,
Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs,
or Diary of a Wimpy Kid) hinted strongly that this text
would appeal more to my brother than me; ultimately to a younger
audience.
Nevertheless,
I enjoyed an easy read. The time which it is set in the main
characters life is a major transition to the world of education. Even
growing up without the struggle of a physical impairment can be
difficult enough all in our own ways. He also faces the challenge of
having to show his face to so many people on a daily basis. As Auggie
has had so much treatment and because of his condition, he has never
been to school, so it is an entirely new experience. I would
definitely say that it has been captured well: I found Auggie
relatable as he has been home educated, just like myself. Going to
school after being home educated is one hell of a shock, so I very
much felt my own thoughts were reflected in the scene in Part One
where August first encounters the school children Jack, Julian and
Charlotte, and observes their alien mannerisms. For example in the
roundabout way that they ask Auggie questions, like when they discuss
whether he knows what an eraser is, asking each other first as if he
weren't there. From the way that the three squabbled amongst
themselves while showing August round the school, to how they ask him
if teachers taught him at home if he was home educated – all of it
personally rang a bell.
I
liked the way that the book is structured: the short chapters with
their own heading of the event described, made manageable, bite sized
chunks to read. Each of them felt conclusive, so it was easy to pick
up where you left off. Then there are eight parts of the book, where
each one takes a point of view from a character involved in the
story. This way, the narrative is told from alternative stances,
slightly overlapping from the previous character to show how the next
character saw the situation. This change creates a nice
multi-perspective of the key events, making the narrative that little
more diverse as the voices shift. I would say that this format is
circular to some degree: the final chapter comes back to August's
narrative voice, which, for me, created an effective conclusive tone,
as it ends with the voice in which it began.


Comments
Post a Comment